precisenews.com

ESPN Bottomline

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Historic Day














MOTEGI, Japan - Since exploding into the consciousness of an international audience at the 2005 Indianapolis 500, Danica Patrick has answered incessant questions of when she would win an IndyCar Series race.

Next question, please.

Patrick, competing in her 50th IndyCar Series race, became the first female to win a major auto racing event on a closed-course circuit. The designation is because Jutta Kleinschmidt of Germany won the Paris to Dakar Rally in 2001.

● The setting: The Indy Japan 300 on the Twin Ring Motegi oval.
● The scenario: Moving from ninth place on Lap 189, seeing leaders pit for a splash of fuel a few laps later and overtaking Helio Castroneves on Lap 198.
● The post-race scene: The sun broke through for the first time all weekend as Patrick made her way through a sea of well-wishers to the victory stage. Today, the diminutive Patrick stood 7 feet tall.

"Finally," Patrick said through tears before a victory lap to compose her thoughts. "This is a long time coming. It was a fuel strategy race, but my team called it perfectly for me. I know I was on the same strategy as Helio, and when I passed him for the lead I couldn't believe it. This is fabulous..."

I try not to do too many double posts between my blogs, but this one definitely deserves it! Quite frankly, I had my doubts as to whether or not she'd ever win a race. I know she's come close, but I still had doubts. I'm thrilled that she was able to accomplish this feat. She's a heck of a driver. Congratulations Danica!!!

No comments: