precisenews.com

ESPN Bottomline

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Why I'm a Libertarian Nut Instead of Just a Nut

Glenn Beck - Current Events & Politics

July 1, 2009 - 2:12 ET

By Penn Jillette

I don’t speak for all Libertarians any more than Sean Penn speaks for all Democrats. I’m not even sure my LP membership card is up to date. I’ve voted Libertarian as long as I can remember but I don’t really remember much before the Clintons and the Bushes. Those clans made a lot of us bugnutty. When I go on Glenn’s show he calls me a Libertarian, I think that’s my only real credential...

...The fact that the majority wants something good does not give them the right to use force on the minority that don’t want to pay for it. If you have to use a gun, it’s not really a very good idea. Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It’s just ganging up on the weird kid, and I’m always the weird kid...

...It’s amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people yourself is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness. People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed, and sheltered. If we’re compassionate, we’ll help them, but you get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right. There is great joy in helping people, but no joy in doing it at gunpoint...

Very succinct and to the point! I lean more libertarian myself. I think most conservatives, if they thought about it would find they have more in common with the Libertarian Party than they do the Republican Party. If the Libertarian Party could ever become a force and get members elected to Congress they'd become the new home of conservative Reaganites like myself.

Shared via AddThis

No comments: