precisenews.com

ESPN Bottomline

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Good Bye Too Soon!









'The only No. 89 I know'

By GEOFF HOBSON
May 17, 2006

CincinnatiBengals.com

You could always count on Danny Ross and his hands, whether they were warming the chill of the second coldest football game ever played or corralling the pig long enough to put in Ken Anderson’s dorm room in a long ago training camp.

“It was payback,” said Anderson on Wednesday with a laugh as vivid as 1981. “He was just a nice guy and a great tight end. He was a real big reason we were so successful.”

Dan Ross was one of my favorite Bengals growing up. I knew he did it right and I knew he worked hard at it. I still can see him catching those TD's at SuperBowl XVI. I hated seeing him go to the USFL, loved it when he came back, and hated how his career got shortened the way it did. One of the few things that the current Bengals are lacking is a Dan Ross type tightend. It's a true shame that he's gone so soon. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

No comments: